Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bannock

I like to make a little cake for breakfast inspired by the bread that the Indians in Manitoba make. It's called bannock. 

cup or so of flour
a pinch of baking soda or powder
a little salt
raisins
a banana or two
some milk or water
some cinnamon (I use some cinnamon schnapps that I made since it's hard to buy cinnamon powder here.)
brown sugar

Mix up the flour, baking soda and salt along with some raisins. Squish up the banana and mix it in. Pour in a little cinnamon powder or schnapps. Mix in milk or water until the mixture is as thick as biscuit batter or as spackling paste. Then, I like to put the brown sugar in last, and I try not to mix it in very much because I like there to be little chunks of brown sugar. Then pour it onto a cookie sheet so it forms a small round cake less than an inch thick and maybe less than nine inches in diameter. Finally bake it in the oven for 30 minutes or so at about 375 Fahrenheit (or 190 Celsius). Or you can fry it in a frying pan on the stove (or over a fire in the mountains), but you will have to fry it with a really low heat so that the outside won't burn before the inside is done. 

Eat it with cream cheese and jam or honey. It's good.

No comments: