This week I met for lunch with a bro. that I haven't seen for a while. He lives here nowadays, but he's preparing for studying abroad. He has a lot of decisions to make, so we were discussing those things. He is really working hard on his study. Beyond learning a third language, he has also decided that he wants to read thru his book 20 times before leaving: a goal that keeps him busy for about three hours each day.
My wife and I two nights ago met with her friend who had a special surprise for us. She announced to us that she and her boyfriend had gotten their marriage certificate a few days before. They were very happy, as you can imagine. They treated us to a meal of dumplings at a popular restaurant in town. I was pretty quiet since the guy doesn't know English, but my wife and her friend talked nonstop about wedding things.
For those of you that don't know, it is a custom here to get your marriage certificate six months or more before you have your wedding. My wife's friends had not had their wedding yet but just became legally married.
Last night, we met with two of our neighbors, J. and M. My bro. J. was going to leave town for a couple weeks the next day so we invited him and M. over to eat with us. My wife cooked some of her delicious food; I was really proud of her. I’m proud to show off her good cooking to my friends. We all talked at the table for a long time last night. I regret that we had not done it sooner. I think I might see my bro. M. again tomorrow.
Today, my wife went shopping with her mother, and I stayed at home and read. Actually I finished reading two books. I finished reading G.’s Rghteous Kingdom by Walter Chantry and Thomas Aquinas by G.K. Chesterton. Both of those books are excellent and both of them left me with questions. Chantry left me questions about the law and about what law is good for us today. Chesterton’s book on the other hand was mostly understandable except for two paragraphs towards the end. He said something about “the metaphysical problem with mere change.” I don’t know what that problem is. In fact, I don’t even know what mere change is! I looked on the Internet for a while, but to no avail. If you know, I would be really happy if you clued me in on the answers. The other thing I didn’t understand was he said, “potentiality doesn’t explain itself.” I wish that he would have explained himself a little more. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Today,I try to read in the mornig that learn from you!But in fact I can't get up early!I was in sweet dream!
Now,I should try my best to raise a good habit!Isn't it?
Keep on!
dude, you seem to be reading heavy books. right now i'm reading oliver twist, the open boat, and chaucer and mallory for a Brit lit class. saw steve and lish yesterday. they finally met Lessie.
love ya bro
Post a Comment