I was making eggs and potatoes for my wife just now. I had finished frying the potatoes and went to put in the eggs. The first egg was beautiful with a brilliant yellow yolk.
The second egg was putrid, all watery and disgusting, and it splattered all over the pan. The yolk was black and clumpy. The smell was horrible, making the whole house reek. As I was dumping it into the garbage can I was almost vomiting because the smell was so sharp and so horrible.
But then it struck me that the smell of the stinky egg is really exactly the same as the smell of stinky tofu, a common food here. It came to me secondly that I have eaten stinky tofu several times and never vomited while eating it.
Eating stinky tofu is a strange thing to do now that I think about it. When ever people eat it together they always close the jar tightly when they are not taking some so as to avoid making the room stink. Why put something into your mouth that you don't want filling the room with its fragrance?
Further, this experience made me think of another thing. The stinky egg smelled the same as stinky tofu, so would I slurp up a rotten egg if someone told me it was edible?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment